While the cooler temperatures haven’t quite reached us here in Louisiana and we are still reeling from “The Great Flood of 2016”, there’s nothing better than looking forward to when those Fall temps and football filled weekends arrive to get you out of a funk. These Grilled Italian Sausage Sandwiches with Skillet Peppers will also get you out of “oh my goodness, what are we going to eat tonight?” funk, too!
Incredibly easy to whip up in a snap, I also think they foster healthy marriages. Why you ask? Because you can leave the grilling to your husband or significant other while you work on the skillet peppers. No whining about having to do it all- it’s a team effort! Messy BBQ not your style? Serve these grilled sausages on a hot dog bun and in parchment paper lined plastic baskets and clean up is just as easy as prep.
I’m super happy to join several Wayfair Homemaker bloggers for a BBQ Bites roundup featuring everything from appetizers to sides, right on down to desserts. All grilled!
Grilled Italian Sausage Sandwiches with Skillet Peppers
- 6 Italian sausage links
- 1 bottle dark beer I use Guinness
- 2 medium green peppers thinly sliced
- 1 medium onion thinly sliced
- 2 tablespoons olive oil
- 2 teaspoon minced garlic
- ¼ teaspoon salt
- ½ teaspoon pepper
- 6 buns split
- 6 slices provolone cheese halved
- Place sausages in a large saucepan, add the beer and bring to a boil. Reduce heat; cover and simmer for 8-10 minutes or until sausages are no longer pink.
- Meanwhile, in a large skillet, sauté the green peppers and onion in oil until tender. Add garlic and cook about a minute longer. Salt and pepper to taste.
- Drain and discard the beer. Grill sausages, covered, over medium heat for 4-6 minutes or until browned with grill marks, turning occasionally. Line each bun with the cheese slice, adding the sausage and skillet peppers.
These Grilled Italian Sausage Sandwiches with Skillet Peppers are featured in the Picnics, Potlucks & Porch Parties cookbook and I think it shows how versatile some of the recipes are for practically any occasion- especially tailgating! Our season kicks off this weekend on the road, but you can bet you’ll find “Italian Dogs” at our next home game.
And let’s just say you’re watching your figure and you prefer to do without the bun. You can!
Make Them Kabobs!
Preheat grill to high heat. Soak bamboo skewers in cold water for a few minutes to prevent burning. Slice sausage links into 3-to-4 inch pieces, and thread sausages, as well as chunks of peppers and onion, onto skewers. Brush with olive oil and grill for about 7 minutes per side.
Be sure to click around for some of the other Wayfair BBQ Bites and get ready for the weekend. Just search the #BBQBites hashtag on Instagram.
PS: It feel really, really good to be back on a blogging schedule. I’ve missed y’all!