As we move into the warmer season, I thought it would be nice to revisit the beloved Southern Sweet Homemade Lemonade recipe, and throw out some other options while you have your simple syrup out and ready to mix.
These beverage recipes are just the porch sippin’ companions you need. Light and refreshing, perch yourself on your porch with a pitcher and see how many new neighbors you’ll meet!
And if you’ve ever gotten lazy and prepared lemonade from the can (no judgement zone, I did it for our neighborhood Easter Egg hunt), you’ll have an entirely new appreciation for the homemade stuff.
Southern Sweet Homemade Lemonade
- 1 cup sugar
- 1 cup water for simple syrup
- 1 cup fresh lemon juice 4-6 lemons
- 3-4 cups cold water
- Make a simple syrup by heating sugar and 1 cup water in a small saucepan until sugar dissolves completely.
- While the sugar is dissolving, juice lemons.
- Add the lemon juice and simple syrup to a pitcher. Add 3-4 cups cold water, more or less, to desired strength. Refrigerate 30 minutes.
- * For more intense lemon flavor and stronger color, zest 1 fresh lemon, and add to the simple syrup as you are making it. Once sugar is dissolved in the water, remove from heat, and let zest steep several minutes, then strain when you add the simple syrup to the lemon juice.
The wonderful thing about making your own Southern Sweet Lemonade is if it’s too sweet, you can add more lemon juice. If you’ve ever tried to “doctor up” the concentrate, it’s hard to get it just right no matter how many lemon slices you throw at it.
And before you even roll your eyes in boredom that I would post a recipe for something as simple as lemonade, let’s talk about what you can do with that lemonade should you need something a bit more intriguing than plain ole’ lemonade.
Consider adding some strawberries!
Simply puree 1 pint of strawberries in a blender with 1/2 cup water. Strain, if desired, and add it to your Southern Sweet Lemonade. Garnish with a lemon slice and strawberry. Voila! Now you have Strawberry Lemonade.
Still not tickling your fancy?
Take 4 cups of the Southern Sweet Lemonade and make this Summertime Spiked Peach Tea .
Too much alcohol, and still not revving your engines??
Have an Arnold Palmer!
Half lemonade, half sweet tea. Easy peasy!
Then serve my hands down, all time favorite, once you’ve had it, you won’t go back Almond Tea recipe.
I pinky promise you’ll be whipping this out the next time you need a beverage in large quantities; baby shower, bridal shower, housewarming- this is your new go to favorite.
So there you go friends! The next time life throws lemons at you, know that lemonade is not your only option.