Merry Christmas and Happy New Year! I hope your holidays have been filled with wonderful memories and time well spent with those you love.
If you’re anything like me, once the holidays have passed, it’s incredibly hard to transition from a season of making ALL THE THINGS to one of kitchen cooking motivation. Give yourself some grace (and a break) with this easy and comforting Slow Cooker Chicken Noodle Soup.
- 1½ pounds boneless skinless chicken breasts
- 1 medium yellow onion, diced
- 2 cups carrots, peeled and sliced
- 2 celery stalks, chopped
- 3-4 cloves garlic, minced
- ½ teaspoon thyme
- ½ teaspoon turmeric
- 32 ounces chicken broth
- salt and pepper, to taste
- 2 cups wide egg noodles
- 2 Tablespoons fresh parsley, garnish
- Place the whole chicken breasts on the bottom of a 6 quart slow cooker and top with onion, carrots, celery, garlic, thyme and turmeric.
- Add the chicken broth and season with salt and pepper (I used about ½ teaspoon of each but the broth you use will determine if you need more). Cover and cook on low for 6-7 hours.
- Remove the chicken breasts and cut into bite-sized pieces. Return the chicken to the crockpot. Add the egg noodles.
- Cover and cook until noodles are tender, about 10 minutes. Garnish with fresh parsley.
- NOTE: If you’re not ready to enjoy the soup right away, skip adding the noodles and instead cook them separately and add to the soup when ready.
Baton Rouge has been experiencing record low temperatures lately (it was colder here in the Bayou State than it was in Alaska yesterday!), and with those chilly weekends and freezing temperatures…come the runny noses and scratchy throats. I can no longer count on two hands how many people I know who have come down with the flu.
The combination of cold weather, runny noses AND not wanting to spend too much time in the kitchen made this Slow Cooker Chicken Noodle Soup recipe a no-brainer. Homemade yet super easy, it is comfort food at its finest. And you don’t even have to crank up the stove.
Because after a full day of de-Christmasing your home, the last thing you probably want to make is a recipe that requires a ton of attention. Oops, talking about myself there.
But that reminds me…..have you taken down your Christmas decor? Each time I think I’m done, I find something I’ve forgotten! Like those hand towels in the guest bathroom. Sigh.
Wishing you a warm, comforting and fabulous 2018!