Hey, hey it’s my BIRTHDAY!
This past weekend was filled with all the appropriate birthday celebration items on the agenda; crawfish, gifts, dinner out, + tons of cake….. but it continues with these Sheet Pan Frosted Sugar Cookie Bars.
The great thing about these Sheet Pan Frosted Sugar Cookie Bars aside from the fact that they are baked right in a 9×13 baking dish is that they are a perfect frosted cookie… in bar form.
They are easy enough for an afternoon snack, yet fancy enough for a birthday date with a friend.
And, as if they needed anything else to make them a winning recipe, they are much easier to transport than cake!
- For the Cookie Bars:
- 2 cups flour
- 1/2 teaspoon baking powder
- 1/2 teaspoon salt
- 1/2 cup unsalted butter softened
- 1 cup sugar
- 1 large egg
- 2 tablespoons sour cream
- 1 teaspoon vanilla extract
- For the Frosting:
- 5 tablespoon butter softened
- 3 tablespoon milk
- 1 tablespoon vanilla extract
- 4 cups powdered sugar
- desired food coloring
- sprinkles nonpareils, etc (optional, topping)
- Preheat oven to 375 degrees. Grease a 9x13 baking dish with non sticking cooking spray. Set aside.
- In a medium sized bowl, combine the flour, baking powder and salt.
- In a large mixing bowl, cream together the butter and sugar until light and fluffy. Add in the egg, sour cream and vanilla and mix until combined. Slowly add in the flour, a little at a time, while scraping down the sides of the mixing bowl and until everything is combined. Press the batter (it will be crumbly) into the baking dish, and using the back of a plastic spatula even out the dough. Bake for 15-17 minutes until the edges begin to turn golden brown. Allow the sugar cookie bars to cool completely. Mix together the ingredients for the frosting until light and creamy. Add in the desired food coloring color. Spread the frosting evenly over the bars and sprinkle with nonpareils (optional). Cut into squares and serve.
I have gotten to the age where I refuse to talk about the number when it comes to birthdays. I’ve turned into my grandmother and while I love to celebrate, I want no mention of just how old I’m turning.
A single candle works JUST fine in my opinion.
The older I get, though I do begin to appreciate what an honor it is to continue on this journey of life happy, healthy and surrounded by love.
I am truly a lucky girl!
Whip up these Frosted Sugar Cookie Bars the next time you’re in the mood for celebrating, or need an easy dessert for your potluck festivities. They are so delicious and fun to bake that you won’t even mind creating some for your own birthday. 🙂