Today’s Quick & Easy Chicken Fajita Bowls recipe was inspired by some positive feedback I’ve received from my monthly inRegister magazine column, Aimee’s Pretty Palate.
For the month of August, I focused on easy weeknight meals for all the busy moms with children heading back to school this month. I featured two sheet pan suppers, a Sheet Pan Cashew Chicken and some Sheet Pan Shrimp Fajitas.
One of the emails I received said she was happy to have some meal options that required little effort as the first week of school dinners usually come in the form of drive through, or delivered via the Waiter app.
A second email, on the very same day, said “Just got my copy of inRegister and immediately made the Shrimp Fajitas. Thank you for thinking about us working moms this month”.
The third message came in the form of a text message and from a friend, but hey, it counts.
“Sheet Pan Suppers for the WIN!” Also included were a million fist bump and smiley face emojis.
So, with those ladies in mind not only are they going to love the September issue (all things stuffed, including these Stuffed Zucchini Boats ) I’ve decided to add more quick and easy recipes here on the blog, and take a bit of a breather from some of the desserts.
Oh, who are we kidding? That’s unlikely to happen.
Sweet treats are my happy place and love language so they’re here to stay. They’ll just follow more recipes like these Quick & Easy Chicken Fajita Bowls.
- 4 chicken breast tenderloins
- 2 cups of cooked white or brown rice
- 1 red bell pepper, sliced thin
- 1 yellow bell pepper, sliced thin
- 1 green bell pepper, sliced thin
- 1 small onion, sliced thin
- 1 can of black beans, drained and rinsed
- 1 can of corn, drained
- 1 tablespoon fajita seasoning (or homemade)
- 1 tablespoon olive oil
- Additional optional toppings: shredded cheese, sour cream, avocado, salsa
- Preheat a skillet to medium high heat and add oil. Sprinkle the chicken, onions, and peppers with half the fajita seasoning.
- When the skillet is hot, add the chicken, peppers, and onions. Cook until the chicken is cooked through, flipping halfway through; about 6-8 minutes. Remove from the pan and set aside. Slice the chicken once cooled enough to handle.
- In the same skillet, add the corn and black beans. Add the remaining fajita seasoning. Cook until the beans and corn are warmed through; about 4 minutes.
- To assemble your bowl, fill with rice and then top with chicken, onions, peppers, corn, and black beans. Add additional toppings as desired.
I use a homemade blend of fajita seasoning, but you can certainly use a pre-packaged if you find yourself without all the spices, or in a pinch and want to just grab it from the store.
Homemade Fajita Seasoning
2 tablespoons chili powder
1 tablespoon sea salt
1 tablespoon cumin
1 tablespoon oregano
1 tablespoon paprika
1 1/2 teaspoon onion powder
1 1/2 teaspoon garlic powder
1 1/2 teaspoon cayenne pepper
1 1/2 teaspoon black pepper
Whisk together and store in an airtight container. I make several batches at one time so that I have it ready for the next time we have tacos.
Your assembled chicken fajita bowl will look a bit unattractive, but don’t let that fool you. It’s a super tasty, quick meal that is healthy to boot if you don’t go crazy with your toppings, ie; the cheese and sour cream. I always wanna go crazy with the toppings.
And lastly, I like to give you 3 photos but I was in such a hurry to get this photographed before we devoured it, that there’s no photo of the aforementioned assembled bowl….and there’s no third photo. I hope you won’t let that stop you from whipping up some Quick & Easy Chicken Fajita Bowls this weekend.