First and foremost, and before we get to the Peppermint Brownie Cookies, I have not vanished into thin air! I’m working on rebranding the site (actually creating a new, one altogether!) and it’s just taking a bit longer to pull everything together. I’ve been busy creating, photographing, and readying myself to bring you fresh and new content when it launches….and well, that is a process in and of itself. I’ve been saving, i.e. hoarding, all the pretties so you’ll be impressed when you see the new space!! The problem with that is it has also meant I’ve taken a bit of a break from posting anything at all. I apologize if you thought I died. I did not!
When I signed up for the Cookies For Kids’ Cancer food bloggers project some time ago, I wasn’t sure if the new site would be ready but I knew I needed to participate and donate regardless. It’s such an incredible cause and Julie from The Little Kitchen is such an extraordinary person for putting it together each year, the least I could do is break my blogging silence to whip up some cookies!
Quite simply. We are doing this event because we want to make a difference in the fight against pediatric cancer.
Did you know that cancer is the #1 cause of death of children by disease in the U.S.? There are 40,000 U.S. children actively battling cancer right now. With less than 4% of the National Cancer Institute’s budget going to all childhood cancer combined, I knew it was important for me to get involved.
Help us make a difference by donating to Cookies for Kids’ Cancer! Our goal is to raise at least $3000. Because these three companies: Dixie Crystals, Land O’Lakes and Mediavine have each pledged to match our donations raised through this campaign up to $3000!!!
Currently, we have raised: $1,415 ALMOST half way towards our $3000 goal, will you help us with a donation today? Every little bit helps!
Now, for the Peppermint Brownie Cookies recipe. Imagine for a moment you had something that tastes like a brownie, but looked like a cookie? You’d have a brownie cookie, right? Take it a step further and add peppermint because 1. Valentine’s Day is approaching and the red is festive, and 2. Who doesn’t like the minty chocolatey flavor combination? Oh, you didn’t need me to rationalize it for you? Well, just in case. When you add the peppermint to the brownies that looks like a cookies you get Peppermint Brownie Cookies- Mint Brookies if you will!
Peppermint Brownie Cookies- Mint Brookies!
- 1 stick butter
- 1 1 ounce unsweetened chocolate baking squares, chopped
- 3 cups miniature semisweet chocolate morsels divided
- 1 1/2 cups all-purpose flour
- 1/2 teaspoon baking powder
- 1/2 teaspoon salt
- 4 large eggs
- 1 cup sugar
- 2 teaspoons vanilla extract
- 1/2 cup crushed peppermint
- Preheat oven to 350 degrees. Combine butter, unsweetened chocolate, and 1 1/2 cups chocolate morsels in a large heavy saucepan over low heat, stirring constantly, until butter and chocolate are melted. Watch closely and don't let the chocolate scorch. Let cool.
- Combine flour, baking powder and salt in a small bowl, set aside.
- Beat eggs, sugar and vanilla with an electric mixer until combined; gradually add the flour mixture, beating until blended. Stir in remaining 1/2 cups chocolate morsels and peppermint pieces.
- Drop dough by 2 tablespoonfuls 1 inch apart onto parchment paper line baking sheets, or silplat mats.
- Bake, in batches, at 350 degrees for 10 minutes. Cool on baking sheets 5 minutes. Transfer to wire racks and cool completely.
Use a rounded cookie cutter to get precise circles and package those little lovelies in mason jars adorned with fabric and you are all set to gift your Valentine. Or Galentine. Or yourself.
No judgement from me.
Have a great weekend! We are off to the Super Bowl today and while I can’t say I’m super excited to watch the Falcons or the Patriots (that’s who is playing, right?), I AM excited to see Lady Gaga in the halftime show!