Today’s Mint Chocolate Chip Ice Cream Sandwiches recipe was created for #SummerDessertWeek. While I was sent samples by some of the sponsoring brands, opinions are 100% my own.
I scream, you scream, they’re all gonna scream for these Mint Chocolate Chip Ice Cream Sandwiches once they know how easy it is to make the from scratch sandwich cookies.
Homemade cookies plus store bought ice cream make this a quick and easy way to dazzle guests with little effort.
Now, while the Mint Chocolate Chip Ice Cream Sandwiches couldn’t be easier, they do take a bit of planning ahead. Especially if you find yourself in the South where ice cream melts if you merely look in its direction.
It. Is. So. Stinkin. Hot.
I’ve had quite literally an awful week. My sweet little Stella could barely walk on Tuesday and I was super concerned that her hip dysplasia was causing one of her hips not to pop by in its socket on its own. We have an appointment with a surgeon in Houston at the end of the month for her hip replacement measurements, but I was seriously thinking we were going to have to do something quicker. Luckily, she’s on an additional pain medicine and we’ve upped her anti-inflammatories and are crossing our fingers we can keep her comfortable for just one more week.
Anyway, I never look forward to the weekends more than when one of my fur-babies isn’t doing well. It’s so much of a relief when the husband is around to lend a hand in the dog hospital ward that has become my home.
I knew we would need to celebrate.
And if these Mint Chocolate Chip Ice Cream Sandwiches don’t say “celebrate all the things” then I don’t know what does.
Mint Chocolate Chip Ice Cream Sandwiches #SummerDessertWeek
- 2 cups all-purpose flour
- 1/2 c up cocoa powder
- 1/4 teaspoon salt
- 1 cup butter 2 sticks, softened
- 1 1/2 cup powdered sugar
- 2 large egg yolks
- 1 teaspoon pure vanilla extract
- 2 quarts mint chocolate-chip ice cream I used 3/4 of a container of Blue Bell
- To make the sandwich cookies:
- Preheat oven to 350 degrees.
- Sift together the flour, cocoa, and salt in a medium-sized bowl and set aside. Beat the butter and sugar together in a large bowl with an electric mixer set on medium speed until light and fluffy. Add the egg yolks one at a time and then add the vanilla to the butter mixture; mix well. Reduce mixer speed to low and add the flour a little at a time to the butter mixture.
- Beat until a firm dough forms. Divide the dough in half and shape into 2 rectangles. Wrap in plastic and chill for 20 minutes.
- Roll the cookie dough into 2 rectangles of dough out to 1/4 inch in thickness -- approximately 7 by 10 inches (I measured a baking dish that I would be using to layer the cookies into and altered my cookie dough accordingly). Using the blunt end of a wooden skewer, poke holes into the cookie sheets to resemble store bought ice cream sandwiches. Place the cookie sheets about 2 inches apart on a baking sheet covered with parchment paper and bake for 15 minutes. Remove from oven and let cool for 5 minutes on the pan. Transfer the baked cookies to a wire rack and let cool completely.
- While the cookies are cooling, line the baking dish with plastic wrap or aluminum foil, leaving a bit of overhang to allow for easy removal.
- Once the cookies are cooled, gently place one sheet of cookies face down into the baking dish. Spread the ice cream on top of the cookies. Add a layer of plastic wrap on top of the ice cream and either use a rolling pin or the palm of your hand to press the ice cream into an even layer. Add the remaining cookie sheet onto the ice cream. Cover and place into the freezer for at least 4 hours, or until the ice cream is completely frozen.
- When ready to serve, remove the ice cream sandwiches from the plastic wrap to a cutting board and cut into 8 rectangular cookie sandwiches. Work quickly to avoid melting.
- **The next time I make these, I'm going to cut the top layer of cookies into pre-formed rectangles prior to placing them onto the top of the ice cream. Cutting through the cookie and the ice cream wasn't the easiest. To keep things neat, you'll need a damp washcloth and to wipe your knife in between cuts.
A couple of notes should you attempt these sandwiches on your own. In the future, I may cut the top portion of the sandwiches prior to assembling. It was pretty difficult to create clean cuts through the frozen cookie, then through the ice cream and again through the bottom layer. As I was cutting, I thought, hhmmmm…if the top cookie was already cut, you’d simply be going through just the ice cream and bottom layer, as you would an ice cream cake. I do think that would be neater for you.
Also, I might not attempt these in Louisiana in late July. You need to eat them crazy fast (or wear a bib) and we all know what happens when you eat ice cream too quickly.
Other than that, you need these Mint Chocolate Chip Ice Cream Sandwiches in your life. I chose the mint ice cream because it’s my favorite, but use whatever ice cream you’d like!
Thank you for joining us this week for #SummerDessertWeek. It’s been so fun sharing recipes perfect for celebrating summertime!
Don’t forget to enter to win some prizes coordinated by my friend Angie from Big Bear’s Wife.
Prize #1 — Dixie Crystals is giving away one (1) Instant Pot (8 Qt) to one lucky winner!
Prize #2 — Adam’s Extract is giving away – One bottle of Adams Best Vanilla Flavor, Adams Best Prize Winning Pound Cake Mix, Adams Extract Twice as Stong Vanilla and Adams Extract Lemon Extract
Prize #3– Red Star Yeast is giving away an Insulated Tote Bag, “I Knead to be Loaved” Apron, “The New Artisan Bread in Five Minutes a Day” Cookbook, Printed recipe ebook, Yeast (three 3-strips of Platinum), French Rolling Pin, Measuring Spoons, Bench Scraper/ Dough Cutter, Dough Whisk, Oven Mitt and Kitchen Towel
Prize #4 — Susquehanna Glass Co. is giving away one set (4 glasses) of Mermaids Stemless Wine Glasses. (like the Mermaid glasses you’ll see in some of our recipes this week!)
Prize #5 — Lodge Cast Iron is giving away one (1) 12-inch Cast Iron Skillet.
Giveaway open to US Residents 18 years or older. No PO Boxes Please. giveaway runs from July 9th until July 15th at 12AMEST. Winners will be selected soon afterward and contacted by e-mail. Winners will have 48 hours to respond or a new winner will be chosen. There are a total of 5 (five) prizes and therefore we will have a total of 5 (five) winners.
Disclaimer: These posts and recipes are part of the week-long event, #SummerDessertWeek but all opinions are 100% mine. We would like to Thank our amazing sponsors: Dixie Crystals, Adam’s Extract, Red Star Yeast, Susquehanna Glass Co. and Lodge Cast Iron! These wonderful sponsors provided the prize packs for our giveaways and also sent samples and products to the #SummerDessertWeek bloggers to use in their recipes.
Also be sure to check out all the amazing recipes submitted by the bloggers sharing Saturday treats:
Sweet Summertime Cakes:
Pineapple Pistachio Marshmallow Cream Cake from Daily Dish Recipes
Old Fashioned Chocolate Church Cake from 4 Sons ‘R’ Us
Coconut Sweet Bread with Lime Glaze from The Domestic Kitchen