Happy National S’mores Day! If there were ever a day I could get behind, it’s a day set aside to honor the combination of graham crackers + marshmallow + chocolate, i.e the S’more. These Mini Mason Jar S’mores Cakes combine all of my favorite things: chocolate and delicious, cute and portable, and….they score you brownie points for dropping off to a friend OR surprising your spouse on a National holiday.
Ok, so “maybe” these National food days aren’t actual holidays but in a world that could use all the extra sweetness it can get, I hereby declare my participation in them.
Let’s just talk about these little cuties a bit, shall we?
What more could you possibly need to brighten someone’s day (or your own) than these tiny baby S’mores cakes?! Each one contains a graham cracker crust, a layer of Devil’s food cake, topped with a layer of additional milk chocolate, followed by toasted marshmallows and graham crackers.
I’ll tell you what else you need. Nothing.
I have a million of the 4 ounce mini mason jars from when I make my Mason Jar Cheesecakes. They are so small that you don’t feel nearly as guilty for indulging!
At least….that’s what I tell myself.
This ensemble is what you call a semi-homemade treat. If you prefer, you could use your favorite chocolate cake recipe in lieu of the boxed Devil’s food cake. I decided at the last minute to make these little guys and opted for the quick and easy “semi” homemade avenue.
- For the Crust:
- ⅓ cup butter, melted
- 1 tablespoon sugar
- 1½ cup graham cracker crumbs
- For the Cake:
- 1 box Devil's Food Cake
- 1 cup chocolate chip morsels
- For the Topping:
- 1 cup mini marshmallows
- 1 sleeve Graham crackers
- Preheat the oven to 350 degrees.
- Create your graham cracker crust by combining the butter, graham cracker crumbs and sugar just until moistened. In an 8x8 greased square cake pan (I used parchment paper for mine and extend over the edges), firmly press the graham cracker crust. Set aside.
- Prepare the cake mix according to the boxed instructions and pour 75% of the batter over the top of the graham cracker crust. Use the remaining batter for cupcakes or discard. Bake according to instructions if using a pan other than a square pan- my 8x8 pan took about 30-35 mins.
- Remove from oven and allow the cake to cool completely.
- Line up your 4 ounce mason jars (6-8 of them) and using a round cookie cutter punch out your cake and drop into each mason jar.
- Heat the chocolate chip morsels in the microwave at 20 seconds intervals until smooth. I heat mine directly in a piping bag. Snip the edge of the bag and cover the cake with a coating of chocolate.
- Top each mason jar with a couple of graham cracker pieces and several mini marshmallows.
- Set the oven to the lowest broil setting and pop the mason jars into the oven. WATCH CLOSELY- it will only take a few seconds to lightly toast them.
Will you be celebrating today?
If you’re not a fan of the effort of these Mini Mason Jar S’mores Cakes, you might be interested in these S’mores Bars or maybe this Sweet Potato S’mores Pie.
Clearly, I don’t discriminate against the S’more!