Despite the longest name in the history of pop tarts, today’s Mardi Gras Pecan Praline Cream Cheese Pop Tarts are the EASIEST thing you might ever make.
They are perfect for celebrating Mardi Gras and Fat Tuesday and boy are they happy, happy, happy.
I filled them with my favorite King Cake filling, a pecan praline cream cheese and decorated them with a bit of royal icing and sprinkled them until they squealed in delight.
Here’s what you need:
Mardi Gras Pecan Praline Cream Cheese Pop Tarts
- 1 package refrigerated pie crust 2 per container
- 4 ounces cream cheese softened
- 2 tablespoons brown sugar
- 1 teaspoon ground cinnamon
- 1/2 teaspoon vanilla extract
- 1/4 cup chopped pecans
- 1 cup powdered sugar
- 2 Tbsp half and half plus more as needed
- 1/4 tsp vanilla extract
- Preheat oven to 400 degrees. Line a baking sheet with parchment paper, or use a silicone baking mat.
- Beat the cream cheese, cinnamon, sugar and vanilla extract together until light and fluffy. Fold in the chopped pecans.
- Unroll the pie crust and cut 4 equal sized rectangles.
- **I have a pop tart mold that makes life easy.
- ** Each unrolled pie crust will yield 4 rectangles, or 2 pop tarts. For 4 tarts, unroll the additional pie crust.
- Place 2 of the rectangles onto the baking sheet. Spread 1 1/2 -2 tablespoons of cream cheese filling evenly down the center of each rectangle, leaving about a 3/4-inch rim on all sides. Top each with another rectangle, then seal edges with your fingertips, and use a fork to crimp the edges closed. Poke the top center 3-4 times with the fork to allow for venting.
- Bake for 10-12 minutes until golden brown. Remove from oven and allow to cool completely on a baking rack before icing.
- In a mixing bowl whisk together all icing ingredients. Add more half and half 1/2 tsp at a time to reach desired consistency. It should be slightly runny, but able to maintain its shape. Spread over tops of pop tarts, leaving a small rim uncoated around all sides. Sprinkle tops with sanding sugar while the icing is still wet. Serve immediately.
Oh, and if pie is your thing say hello to my Mardi Gras King Cake Pie.
Cocktails your thing? Here ya go: Mardi Gras King Cake Cocktail.
Happy Fat Tuesday!