Our #SummerDessertWeek festivities continue with today’s Homemade Layered Strawberry Shortcake.
This Cherry Almond Cobbler Recipe was created for #SummerDessertWeek. I have partnered with some of the sponsoring companies to bring you a delicious week full of recipes and giveaways but opinions are my 100% my own.
When I was a little girl, I can remember being at my grandmother’s house and her offering me fresh strawberries as a snack. I turned up my nose at them and swore them off after taking one small bite, wanting nothing to do with their tiny baby seeds. She sliced the strawberries and placed a little glass dish of sugar next to them and said “try dipping each slice into the sugar, I bet you’ll forget all about those seeds”. And she was right!
I dipped my slices into the sugar, watching as the white sugar became stained with pink, knowing that my love affair with strawberries had begun.
These days, rather than snacking on sugar dipped berries, I’m macerating those slices in sugar and vanilla and stuffing them in between layers of homemade whipped cream and light and fluffy shortcake rounds pretending to be a personal bakery for my husband and I. Of course, you could go semi-homemade and whip up the shortcake from a box but the additional step of homemade meringue whipped into the shortcake is worth every single solitary extra minute devoted to this cake and something you absolutely won’t find in a box. It will taste like home, and it will surely taste like summer.
It’s light and refreshing and just sweet enough to satisfy most any Summer dessert craving. And honestly, I love it most when it’s been in the refrigerator overnight and everything is nice and chilled.
Homemade Layered Strawberry Shortcake #SummerDessertWeek
- For the Cake:
- 1 cup all-purpose flour
- 1 teaspoon baking powder
- 1/4 teaspoon salt
- 3 eggs separated
- 1 pinch cream of tartar
- 1 cup sugar
- 1/2 cup unsalted butter softened
- 1 teaspoon vanilla extract
- 1/2 cup milk
- Marinated Strawberries:
- 1 teaspoon vanilla extract
- 1 1/2 cups sliced fresh strawberries
- 1 1/2 tablespoon sugar
- Whipped Cream:
- 1 1/2 cup heavy whipping cream
- 2 tablespoons sugar
- 1 teaspoon vanilla extract
- additional strawberries mint: garnish
- To prepare the cake:
- Preheat the oven to 350 degrees. Line an 8 inch baking pan with parchment paper and spray with non-stick cooking spray (you can also use butter if you prefer) and set aside.
- In a medium size bowl, combine the flour, baking powder and salt. Set aside.
- In another bowl, using a stand mixer (or electric mixer), beat the egg whites and cream of tartar until soft peaks form. Gradually add 1/2 cup of sugar beating until stiff peaks form.
- In another bowl, still using a stand mixer beat the remaining sugar, butter, egg yolks and vanilla. Slowly add the dry ingredients alternately with the milk.
- Using a spatula, gently fold in the meringue to the batter. Pour the batter into the prepared baking pan. Bake for 30-45 minutes, or until a toothpick inserted in the middle of the cake comes out clean. Remove from the pan and allow the cake to cool on a wire rack.
- To prepare the Strawberries:
- In a bowl, combine the sliced strawberries, sugar and vanilla. Allow the strawberries to soak for 15 to 20 minutes.
- Prepare the Whipped Cream:
- In a bowl, whip the cold cream, sugar and vanilla with an electric mixer until peaks form.
- To Assemble the Cake:
- Slice the cake in half horizontally. *I have a cake leveler that does this easily and evenly! Spread half of the whipped cream onto the bottom slice of the cake. Add the strawberries onto the whipped cream. Cover with the remaining slice of cake and whipped cream. Top with more strawberries and sprigs of fresh mint. Store in the refrigerator for at least 2 hours; serve chilled.
It’s probably one of the more involved recipes that I’ve featured but I pinky promise, the homemade shortcake is worth it. If you’re feeling something a little less time consuming, my Cherry Almond Cobbler is a quick and easy fix.
And if that still doesn’t have your engine revving, then be sure to check out the amazing #SummerDessertWeek recipes from our bloggers today and don’t forget to scroll all the way to the bottom for the giveaway.
Ice Cream Recipes:
Healthy Watermelon Popsicles from Big Bear’s Wife
Fried Ice Cream Milk Shakes from Southern Plate
Pies of Summer:
Mini Blueberry Pie from Food Hunter’s Guide to Cuisine
Blueberry Lemon Cheesecake Pie from Daily Dish Recipes
Sweet Summertime Cakes:
Cookies & Cream Mini Bundt Cakes from Me and My Pink Mixer
Sweet Corn and Raspberry Layer Cake from Sweet ReciPeas
Chocolate Malted Milkshake Cake from 4 Sons ‘R’ Us
Layered Strawberry Shortcake from Southern From Scratch
No Bake Treats:
Cherry Granita from The Bitter Side of Sweet
Frozen Fruit Cupcakes from The Domestic Kitchen
Cherry Cheesecake Brownies from Love Bakes Good Cakes
Blueberry Cheesecake Chimichangas from Home Sweet Homestead
Lemon Cheesecake with Lemon Curd Topping from Kudos Kitchen by Renee
Caramel Heath Ricotta Cheesecake Bars from The Whimsy One
Banana Pudding Cake from A Blender Mom
S’mores Crepes from For the Love of Food
Apple Dumplings from Jen Around the World
Summer Berry Dessert Bruschetta from Cooking In Stilettos
Cinnamon Sugar Blueberry Banana Bread from The Spiffy Cookie
Don’t forget that we have 6 (six) great giveaways for you this week thanks to our amazing sponsors!
Prize #1 — Dixie Crystals is giving one winner a $100 Willimas Sonoma Gift Card OR a $100 Sur la Table! Winner of prize #1 gets to pick which gift card they would like!
Prize #2 — Rainier Fruit is giving one winner a Pie dish, Cherry Pitter, Serving Spatula, Pinch Bowls, Pie Carrier! Everything you need to make the perfect cherry or blueberry pie!
Prize #3– OXO is giving one winner an 8 Piece Glass Bake, Serve & Store Set.
OXO Glass Bakeware is made of thermal shock resistant borosilicate glass, which means it can go from freezer to oven without the need to thaw. The OXO 8 Piece Glass Bake, Serve & Store Set is the perfect partner for all of your baking adventures. The Set includes a Glass 3 Qt Baking Dish, Glass 2 Qt Baking Dish, Glass Loaf Pan, Glass Pie Plate, 1 Cup Round SNAP Container, and 2 Cup Round SNAP Container.
Prize #4 — Adam’s Extract is giving one winner a Pyrex with baking utensils and 4oz Adams Best, 1.5 oz Pure Lemon, Almond, Peppermint and Vanilla.
Prize #5 — General Mills Cereal is giving one winner 4 boxes of cereal, 2 Big G Cereal character bowls, 2 Big G Cereal character , 2 “Good Morning” spoons, 2 Cheerios tumblers with straws 1 long-sleeve Cereal Character hooded t-shirt, 1 short-sleeve Cereal Character t-shirt.
Prize #6 — Land O’Lakes is giving one winner a branded insulated tote with a stainless steel water bottle, two mugs with cocoa mix, a dish towel and coasters.
Giveaway open to US Residents 18 years or older.. All entries will be verified. No PO Boxes Please. Prizes will be sent directly from sponsors to winners, bloggers are not responsible for prizes. This giveaway runs from July 24th until July 30th at 12AMEST. Winners will be selected soon afterwards and contacted by e-mail. Winners will have 48 hours to respond or a new winner will be chosen. There are a total of 6 (six) prizes and therefore we will have a total of 6 (six) winners. No purchase necessary. Void where prohibited by law.
Disclaimer: These posts and recipes are part of the week long event, #SummerDessertWeek but all opinions are 100% mine! We would like Thank our amazing sponsors: Dixie Crystals, Rainier Fruit, OXO, Adam’s Extract, Land O’Lakes and General Mills Cereal! These wonderful sponsors provided the prize packs for our giveaways and also sent samples and products to the #SummerDessertWeek bloggers to use in their recipes.