Hold onto your mimosas, this Grits & Sausage Breakfast Casserole is begging to join your weekend menu lineup.
To be honest, I consider breakfast to be my most favorite meal. I’ve put some thought into this, and have concluded that of the three meals of the day, breakfast has a way of stealing the show. In fact, I think that’s why it’s totally a thing to have breakfast for dinner. Other than say, pizza, what dinner dish do you know of that people crave for breakfast? Soup for breakfast? Nah. Lasagna first thing in the morning? Nope. What about spaghetti to start your day? I wouldn’t totally be opposed but really can’t envision it happening.
Now, on the other hand I bet I could interest you in pancakes for dinner. With some breakfast potatoes on the side? How about a slice of this Grits & Sausage Breakfast Casserole? I’m going to trust that you are nodding along with me, that yes, yes you’ll be just fine with having this for dinner…or breakfast this weekend.
Why I like it, as if having grits as its main ingredient isn’t enough, is that it comes together quickly and it can be made ahead of time if you’re having company and want to get a head start on menu prepping. It’s also substantial enough on its own to tie you over to lunch, and it keeps those men who are always looking for beef appeased, too. Having the girls over for brunch? Whip up this casserole!
- 6 cups water
- 2 cups uncooked grits
- 1/2 cup butter, divided
- 3 cups shredded Cheddar cheese, divided
- 1/2 onion, chopped
- 1 pound ground pork sausage
- 8 eggs
- 1/2 cup milk
- 1 tablespoon Worcestershire
- 1 teaspoon garlic powder
- 1 teaspoon Tabasco
- salt and pepper, to taste
- Preheat oven to 350 degrees. Lightly grease a large baking dish and set aside.
- In a large saucepan, bring water to a boil and stir in grits. Reduce heat, cover and simmer about 5 minutes, until liquid has been absorbed. Mix in 1/2 of the butter and 2 cups cheese until melted.
- In a skillet over medium heat, cook the onions and sausage until the sausage is evenly browned. Drain the sausage and mix into the grits. Beat the eggs and milk together, pour into the skillet with any remaining sausage drippings. Lightly scramble the eggs, then mix into the grits. Add the Worcestershire, garlic and Tabasco, salt and pepper; mixing until combined. Pour the grits mixture into the prepared baking dish and dot with the remaining butter. Top with the remaining cheese.
- Bake 30 minutes, or until lightly browned.
Don’t worry that it’s not the most glamorous looking dish. Casseroles rarely look gorgeous, but time after time, they redeem their lackluster appearance with taste and this Grits & Sausage Breakfast Casserole is no different.
If you wanted to make the casserole the day before, stop at the last step of adding the butter and remaining cheese, cover and refrigerate overnight. When you’re ready to serve it, allow the casserole to come to room temperature slightly, about 30 minutes or so, add the butter and cheese then bake for 30 minutes as originally instructed.
That cheese. Those grits. Mmmm sausage.
It’s a breakfast casserole made in pure heaven, and I’m not even mad at you if you’d like to call it your Heavenly Breakfast Casserole.
Have a great weekend, y’all!