Wrapping up #SummerDessertWeek with these Cherry Pie Cake Bars.
These Cherry Pie Cake Bars were created for #SummerDessertWeek. I have partnered with some of the sponsoring companies to bring you a delicious week full of recipes and giveaways but opinions are 100% my own.
Have you enjoyed the overload of summer dessert recipes? I have found so many new things I want to try and have been super inspired with the homemade ice cream recipes that have come through.
I’m probably gravitating toward all the ice cream and chilled desserts because it’s so darn hot here. We are getting a “cold front” this weekend, which means rain is coming and it will only be in the high 80’s.
Not much of a “cold front” if you ask me but I’ll take anything below 90 at this point. We. Are. Melting.
If you’re looking for a chilled dessert that won’t melt, I’ve come to the rescue.
In addition to being temperature friendly, bar recipes are the perfect addition to potlucks, too because of the ease of serving. These Cherry Pie Cake Bars are similar to biting into a piece of cherry pie. The batter however is similar to a cake. Whether you want to call them Cherry Pie Bars or Cherry Cake Bars is entirely up to you.
- For the Bars:
- 3 cups all-purpose flour
- 1 teaspoon salt
- 1 cup butter, softened
- 2 cups sugar
- 4 eggs
- 1 teaspoon vanilla extract
- ¼ teaspoon almond extract
- 1 (21 ounces, or largest you can find if you really like cherry) cherry pie filling
- For the Glaze:
- 1 cup powdered sugar
- ½ teaspoon vanilla extract
- ½ teaspoon almond extract
- 1 tablespoon milk
- Preheat oven to 350 degrees. Grease a 13x9 inch baking dish. In a mixing bowl, whisk together flour and salt; set aside. In the bowl of an electric mixer, beat the butter and sugar until light and fluffy. Mix in eggs, one at a time then add in the extracts.
- Reduce the mixer speed to low and add in the dry ingredients a little at a time and mix until well combined. Reserve 1½ cups of batter. Spread the remaining batter evenly into the prepared baking dish. Top with cherry pie filling, spreading evenly. Drop spoonfuls of the reserved batter over the top of the filling.
- Bake for 30-35 minutes, or until lightly golden and a toothpick inserted in the center comes out clean. Allow to cool completely on a wire rack.
- Mix together the glaze by whisking together the powdered sugar with the extracts and enough milk to reach desired consistency. Pour into a resealable bag (or a piping bag) and cut a small tip from one corner. Drizzle the glaze over the cooled bars. Allow the bars to chill in the refrigerator for a couple of hours, then cut into squares and serve slightly chilled.
They garner even more bonus points for being quick and easy. Many times people think they need to use a shortcut cake mix, but honestly the “cake” part of these bars only requires 6 ingredients you likely already have on hand and the baking time remains the same.
So, so good!
Thank you for joining us this week. If you haven’t already, be sure to enter the giveaway at the bottom of today’s recipe links. Someone needs to win that $100 gift card and I’d love it if it were you!
Ice Cream Recipes:
No Churn Trix Ice Cream from Big Bear’s Wife
Mango Blueberry Popsicles from Daily Dish Recipes
Pies of Summer:
No-Bake Fresh Cherry Pie from Home Sweet Homestead
Sweet Summertime Cakes:
Chocolate Coconut Cream Cake from Food Hunter’s Guide to Cuisine
No Bake Treats:
No Bake Peaches and Cream Cheesecake from Miss in the Kitchen
No Bake Cookies from The Domestic Kitchen
No Bake Berry Icebox Cake from A Blender Mom
Blueberry Cornbread from For the Love of Food
Peach Danish from Jen Around the World
Butter Cookies from Bowl Me Over
Reese’s Puffs Toffee from The Spiffy Cookie
Prize #1 — Dixie Crystals is giving one winner a $100 Willimas Sonoma Gift Card OR a $100 Sur la Table! Winner of prize #1 gets to pick which gift card they would like!
Prize #2 — Rainier Fruit is giving one winner a Pie dish, Cherry Pitter, Serving Spatula, Pinch Bowls, Pie Carrier! Everything you need to make the perfect cherry or blueberry pie!
Prize #3– OXO is giving one winner an 8 Piece Glass Bake, Serve & Store Set.
OXO Glass Bakeware is made of thermal shock resistant borosilicate glass, which means it can go from freezer to oven without the need to thaw. The OXO 8 Piece Glass Bake, Serve & Store Set is the perfect partner for all of your baking adventures. The Set includes a Glass 3 Qt Baking Dish, Glass 2 Qt Baking Dish, Glass Loaf Pan, Glass Pie Plate, 1 Cup Round SNAP Container, and 2 Cup Round SNAP Container.
Prize #4 — Adam’s Extract is giving one winner a Pyrex with baking utensils and 4oz Adams Best, 1.5 oz Pure Lemon, Almond, Peppermint and Vanilla.
Prize #5 — General Mills Cereal is giving one winner 4 boxes of cereal, 2 Big G Cereal character bowls, 2 Big G Cereal character , 2 “Good Morning” spoons, 2 Cheerios tumblers with straws 1 long-sleeve Cereal Character hooded t-shirt, 1 short-sleeve Cereal Character t-shirt.
Prize #6 — Land O’Lakes is giving one winner a branded insulated tote with a stainless steel water bottle, two mugs with cocoa mix, a dish towel and coasters.
Giveaway open to US Residents 18 years or older.. All entries will be verified. No PO Boxes Please. Prizes will be sent directly from sponsors to winners, bloggers are not responsible for prizes. This giveaway runs from July 24th until July 30th at 12AMEST. Winners will be selected soon afterwards and contacted by e-mail. Winners will have 48 hours to respond or a new winner will be chosen. There are a total of 6 (six) prizes and therefore we will have a total of 6 (six) winners. No purchase necessary. Void where prohibited by law.
Disclaimer: These posts and recipes are part of the week long event, #SummerDessertWeek but all opinions are 100% mine! We would like Thank our amazing sponsors: Dixie Crystals, Rainier Fruit, OXO, Adam’s Extract, Land O’Lakes and General Mills Cereal! These wonderful sponsors provided the prize packs for our giveaways and also sent samples and products to the #SummerDessertWeek bloggers to use in their recipes.