You guys, I had to add this Caramel Apple Pie Pie as a 6th dessert to my Top 5 Thanksgiving Desserts because a reader emailed a question about it and I had forgotten ALL about it.
It’s likely one of my favorite pies of all time. I recreated it so I could lighten up the photography some.
Here’s the original blog post:
I I recently photographed a Caramel Apple Dip for our Fall Junior League newsletter and had a ridiculous amount of apples still lingering around so I thought why not make a pie? Making the dip had me wanting it in pie form, so you know the only logical thing I could do….make the dip in pie form.
When we were chatting about which recipe from the River Road cookbook collection to feature for the newsletter, we were thinking Fall = apple picking. Apple picking and hayrides, football games and tailgating. Basically, the most wonderful time of the year. It’s still obnoxiously hot here so making this pie had me longing for the cooler temperatures that come along with the apple picking, hayrides and tailgating. To get me in the spirit, I seriously had to crank the air down a few degrees and close all the curtains, otherwise baking an apple pie in 100 degree weather seemed a bit ridiculous. I sort of just pretended that it wasn’t fry an egg on the pavement hot outside.
The Caramel Apple Pecan Pie is basically a jazzed up apple pie. Or a jazzed up pecan pie. Or an apple pie on a date with a pecan pie. However and whatever you want to call it, call this pie a favorite.
- 1 refrigerated pie crust
- 3 apples, cored sliced and peeled
- ¼ cup caramel sauce (or ¼ cup melted caramel candies)
- ¼ cup butter
- ¾ cup sugar
- 2 large eggs
- ½ teaspoon vanilla extract
- 1 teaspoon salt
- ¾ cup chopped pecans
- Preheat oven to 400 degrees. Fit piecrust into a 9-inch pie plate. Prick bottom and sides of piecrust with a fork. Bake at 400 degrees for 6- 8 minutes until lightly browned; cool on wire rack.
- Combine caramel sauce and butter in a large saucepan over medium heat. Cool, stirring constantly until butter is melted and completely combined. Remove from heat.
- Stir together sugar, eggs, vanilla extract and salt; pour into caramel mixture blending thoroughly. Stir in pecans and pour into prepared pie crust. Arrange the sliced apples on top of the pecan mixture.
- Bake pie at 400 degrees for 10 minutes. Reduce heat to 350 and bake 30-04 more minutes, shielding edges of crust with aluminum foil or a pie shield to prevent excessive browning if necessary. Bake until apples are tender and pie is bubbly. Allow to cool on a wire rack for at least 10 minutes to fully set. Serve warm.
Ooey gooey, sweet caramel deliciousness. Top with a bit of whipped cream to balance out all the sweetness and you’re in for a treat. If you’re feeling really indulgent serve it warm alongside a scoop of ice cream.
Each bite includes a tender apple, a bit of pecans, and a touch of sweetness encased in a flakey crust.
(Here’s a photo from the original post, where I sliced into it- I forgot to do that this time around. Oops)
Oh dear caramel apple goodness.