If you find yourself in a post holiday slump, perhaps these Bakery Style Chocolate Chip Muffins will cheer you up. Anytime my husband has a day off that happens to fall during the week, it throws the entire week off. Especially when it falls on a Tuesday, like yesterday’s 4th of July celebrations did. Just when you’re preparing for a fresh and new week, a day off happens, and now it’s Wednesday and it’s feeling like Monday again.
After last night’s fireworks, and let’s be honest, Milo’s anxiety over last night’s fireworks I was so grateful to wake up to these muffins. They are a welcomed breakfast treat, but they also work well for an impromptu lunch time picnic. Who doesn’t love a muffin that works double duty?
What I love about these muffins, other than the obvious fact that they’re a chocolate chip muffin, is how wonderful they puff up. The photos don’t really do them justice as to just how nice, round and fluffy they are. It’s why I’m calling them “Bakery Style”. In my opinion, if you pay $3+ dollars for a muffin, it should be substantial.
And while you aren’t paying $3 a pop for these muffins, they wouldn’t disappoint you if you did.
- 1¼ cup buttermilk
- 2½ cups all-purpose flour
- 1 tablespoon baking powder
- 1 teaspoon baking soda
- ½ teaspoon salt
- 1 cup granulated sugar
- ¼ cup light brown sugar
- ½ cup butter, melted
- 2 eggs
- 1 tablespoon vanilla
- 1½ cups miniature chocolate chips
- Preheat oven to 425 degrees. Grease a 12-cup muffin tin with non-stick cooking spray.
- In a large bowl, mix together the flour, baking powder, baking soda, salt and sugar. Add the butter, eggs, vanilla, and the buttermilk. Stir just until combined.
- Fold in the chocolate chips.
- Fill each cup in the muffin tin to be completely full (about a heaping ¼ cup).
- Bake at 425 degrees for 5 minutes. Then decrease the heat to 375 and bake for another 10-12 minutes. Muffins are done when a toothpick inserted into the center comes out clean.
- Remove from oven and let cool for a few minutes before removing from the tin and serving.
And while I’ve probably featured my watermelon turned flower vase hack, I don’t think I’ve shared with you my “I can’t find my hot dog baskets and am out of paper plates” alternative serving piece hack. That’s exactly what happened to me when I was throwing together this little lunch time soiree. You know the little red baskets you use for hot dogs, etc? I couldn’t find mine anywhere and the only disposable plates I had were either not the right colors, or the boring white Chinet ones we use when I don’t want to be bothered with dishes.
What I do have an abundance of? Shallow gift boxes leftover from a craft I did at Anthropologie years ago. The ones that have the clear tops and perfect for wrapping a scarf or necklace? Those.
Line them with some cute napkins and use them for disposable plates/serving trays. The little lip on the box actually works to keep your potato chips contained a lot better than a paper plate, too!
So whether you choose to serve your muffins for breakfast or for an after dinner dessert, know that are versatile and up for the challenge!
And if you’re not a fan of chocolate (is that possible?), these muffins are some favorites: