Ever since I could remember my Lil’ Momo had an array of pecans at all her holiday gatherings.
Sidenote: When I was a child I had one grandmother who was heavy set, and one that was a tiny little thing. I differentiated them by calling one Lil’ Momo and one Big Momo. It stuck, and fortunately my great-grandmother didn’t mind being called “Big”. The grandchildren after me also learned to call my mom’s mother our “Lil’ Momo”.
Now back to the pecans.
Spicy pecans. Sugared pecans. Cinnamon pecans. And some secret pecans that I swear I think she said were made with a pudding mix.
Long story short, she had an entire serving platter of nothing but flavored pecans.
And then, in your gift bag you’d get your own take home goodie bags of, you guessed it, pecans.
I decided to try to recreate the cinnamon sugared pecans.
- ¼ cup evaporated milk
- 1 cup sugar
- ¼ tsp cinnamon
- 2 tbsp water
- 1 tsp vanilla
- 2½ cups shelled pecan halves
- In a large sauce pan over medium heat, combine evaporated milk, sugar, water and vanilla.
- Heat mixture until sugar is dissolved- stirring often.
- Whisk in cinnamon.
- Add 3 cups of pecans, stirring until completely covered.
- Continue stirrng until pecans become well coated and mixture begins crystallizing to the pecans- aout 3 minutes.
- Spread the covered pecans on wax paper, separating as you lay them out. Allow the pecans to cool completely.
- Break apart pecans and store in an air-tight container for up to 2 weeks.
Candied pecans, that is.
I always like having readily available homemade gifts around the holidays. Most of my neighbors are retired and you never know when the doorbell will ring, and you will find a box of divinity, bourbon balls, or a fresh baked bread loaf just waiting for you.
And you know when someone gives you something and you wish you had their recipe and knew how they made it?
I made a fancy little recipe card to attach to my Southern Candied Pecans.
Do you know how ridiculously easy it is to design in PicMonkey?
I’m the farthest thing from being graphically inclined and I did this all by myself.
All. By. Myself I tell you!
And nope, the fine folks at PicMonkey didn’t ask me to say that.
Enjoy the pah-kahns!