It’s the final day of #HalloweenTreatsWeek and I’m ending with this Cake Mix Candy Corn Naked Layer Cake.
As a recap, all week long we’ve been participating in a week-long celebration of treats fit for Halloween celebrations hosted by Angie from Big Bear’s Wife.
If you missed my earlier contribution, I whipped up some Chocolate Dipped Brownie Pops sprinkled with the most amazing custom sprinkles (wink wink- WIN SOME AT THE BOTTOM OF THIS POST).
We are going to file this in the semi-scratch folder of your recipe repertoire as holiday baking sometimes require you to take shortcuts with the baking so you can spend more time with the decorating….and celebrating!
You are going to use 2 boxed cake mixes for this recipe. 1 white, and 1 yellow. Your favorite brand of choice is fine.
Or, you could always make your batter from scratch if you prefer. But today? Today nobody has time for that.
- 1 box, white cake mix
- 1 box, yellow cake mix
- food coloring, orange
- For the Buttercream:
- 4- 4 1/2 cups Powdered Sugar
- 1/2 cup Butter (Softened)
- 1 1/2 teaspoons Vanilla Extract
- 1-2 tablespoons milk (more if needed)
- Spray 5 8 inch cake pans with non-stick cooking spray and line with parchment paper circles. Bake according to bake times on box.
- From the white cake mix, you’re going to divide the batter into thirds. 2 white layers (remember to use egg whites and throw out the yokes) and orange food coloring to the remaining. About 1 1/2 cups into each 6 inch baking pan.
- Then, from the yellow cake mix you’ll get your 2 yellow layers with no need for food coloring. You’ll have extra batter so make a couple of cupcakes if you don’t feel like wasting the remaining batter.
- Once out of the oven and completely cooled, you’ll use a leveler (or a sharp knife and eyeball) to flatten and even out all 5 layers.
- To make the buttercream:
- In a large bowl, beat butter until creamy. Add the powdered sugar, a little at a time and beat on low until it is fully incorporated. Increase the speed and continue to beat, scraping sides and bottom of bowl often. Add milk a little bit at a time and continue beating until frosting reaches desired consistency.
You’ll enhance your boxed cake with a simple homemade Vanilla Buttercream to keep you feeling like a total fruad but I’m telling you, once your friends and family see your colorful layers, no one will fault you for serving a boxed cake mix.
They’re probably going to be too distracted by your cute Wilton ghosts holding candy corn.
This cake is easy enough for even the beginner baker who is just looking to elevate things just a bit.
I hope you’ve enjoyed all the fabulous recipes submitted this week. I can’t wait to hear what you’ll be making, or what your favorites were.
Don’t forget: This is your last chance for entering the giveaway to get your hands on some fun prizes, many of the same things we were provided by our generous sponsors to create our own treats.
Prize #1 — Dixie Crystals is giving away one (1) Instant Pot (8 Qt) to one lucky winner!
Prize #2 — Adam’s Extract is giving away – 1 Gift Pack – including Pure Vanilla Extract, Ground Cinnamon, Caramel Extract, Almond Extract, Pumpkin Pie Dip Mix and Adam’s Best Twice as strong Vanilla
Prize #3 —Wilton is giving away a Wilton Gift Pack – including – Halloween Cookie House Bat, Tombstone and Skull 3-Piece Cookie Cutter Set, Halloween Skull Tube Pan, Zombie Cupcake Liners, Skull Sugar Decorations
Prize #4 — Sweets and Treats Shop is giving away 1 (one) 1.5lb Sprinkle Mix Kit from their shop
Prize #5 — Treat Street USA is giving away a $25 Visa Gift Card
Giveaway open to US Residents 18 years or older. All entries will be verified. No PO Boxes Please. Prizes will be sent directly from sponsors to winners, bloggers are not responsible for prizes. This giveaway runs from October 1st – October 6th at 12AMEST. Winners will be selected soon afterward and contacted by e-mail. Winners will have 48 hours to respond or a new winner will be chosen. There are a total of 5 (five) prizes and therefore we will have a total of 5 (five) winners. No purchase necessary. Void where prohibited by law.
Disclaimer: These posts and recipes are part of the week-long event, #HalloweenTreatsWeek but all opinions are 100% mine! We would like to Thank our amazing sponsors: Dixie Crystals, Adam’s Extract, Wilton, Sweets and Treats Shop and Treat Street USA ! These wonderful sponsors provided the prize packs for our giveaways and also sent samples and products to the #HalloweenTreatsWeek bloggers to use in their recipes.
Frosted White Chocolate Halloween Swirl Brownies from Big Bear’s Wife
Candy Corn Pound Cake from ReciPEAs
Halloween Scene Cake from Mrs Happy Homemaker
Candy Corn Cupcakes from I am a Honey Bee
Graveyard Cupcakes from Daily Dish Recipes
Gooey Monster Peanut Butter Cookies from The Spiffy Cookie
Mini Mummy Dogs from Karen’s Kitchen Stories
Bleeding Red Velvet Lava Cakes from A Kitchen Hoor’s Adventures
Spooky Halloween Muddy Buddies from The Redhead Baker